Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Jeans to shorts

If you have boys, you know about holes in jeans:(  I try to come up with unique ways to patch my boys jeans which sometimes works and sometime not.  In the picture below the left leg shows one of my trials.  A large, sort of zig-zag stitch over the remaining threads of the hole.  This actually has a square fabric underneath it to help keep the hole together.  It worked for some holes and not for others.  I think it is best on small holes.  So when the warm weather came and some of my patches weren't holding, I decided for the next best thing . . . shorts!

I used the same technique as I did hemming jeans for Kelly on my earlier post.  This way you can keep the same hem.  It works best if your pant leg is straight all the way down (thigh width is the same as the ankle width). 

1.  Fold the jeans up to where you want your shorts to end.  Sew at the hem line.
 2.  Cut off excess fabric.  If I did this over I would cut a little further down and then serge or zig-zag stitch the edge because it tends to get stringy with wear and washing.
 3.  Iron the hem flat.
There are your new summer shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment