Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ruffled sheet skirts

So I bought new sheets for my girls. I am getting into a bad habit of not being able to throw away any fabric scraps. I thought I could use the fabric from these bags that the sheets came in for some scraps when I needed them. Then one day they caught my eye and an idea began to form. . . skirts????
The bag already had a drawstring at the top so I didn't have to do anything for the waistline. For the bottom of the skirt, I cut off the bottom section of the bag.
And added a strip of white fabric that I hemmed on one side. I made the white strip about twice as long as the hem of the skirt to make a ruffle.
This is my "fast" way of ruffling fabric. I pin it evenly in four spots around the hem of the skirt and then just scrunch the fabric as I sew. The four pins help to make it even sections so its not too ruffly in some spots and then stretched way out in others.
There you have it - ruffled sheet skirts!

1 comment: