Sunday, December 4, 2011

Burlap Stockings

I love ruffles, but I'm also loving burlap lately! I've made ruffled burlap lampshades (and I'm selling them at Objects in Eureka. Check them out!). I've made burlap faux ties for the boys (and I'm selling those at Objects too!). And now I tackled burlap stockings! I got the idea from Pinterest. Someone made stockings similar to this but I believe hers were canvas. I just liked her colors and the ruffles/buttons to distinguish the boy/girl stockings.
So, first I printed a stocking template. Find a template you like and print it off or trace your old stockings and make your own template:) Then, I cut out the burlap and lining. (*as a side note, I buy a white flat sheet from Walmart for about $10 and get a lot of fabric for all my white detailing on projects). Be sure to cut out front and back with the template.

Sewing your outer stocking you have a couple choices. I chose to leave a rough edge, so I zigzag stitched about a 1/4" from the edge. You could do a straight stitch with right sides together and then turn it right side out to hide your stitch. Sew your outside stocking together and your lining pieces together.
I had a pattern/template piece for the top cuff on the stocking but cut it out a little different. I laid it on the fold of the white fabric and cut it out instead of cutting more pieces and sewing them together as the template suggests. After cutting two pieces out on the fold, I opened them up and sewed the sides together to make this shape.
Fold it in half with wrong sides together and you get your top cuff on the stocking.
Tuck this piece down into the stocking lining that you already sewed together. Be sure the fold is down inside the lining and you are sewing the raw edges of the lining and cuff together.
This is your completed lining piece of your stocking. The top cuff is going to fold down over your outside stocking and the raw edge you just sewed will not show. Tuck this lining piece down into your burlap stocking and fold the cuff over the outside of the stocking.
See how it is a nice clean seam right inside your stocking?
You are almost done with the basic stocking! I decided to make the tab for the stocking to hang out of the burlap too. I cut a strip of burlap, folded it in half, and zigzag stitched the raw edge.
You then can fold this small piece in half again and stitch it to the inside back portion of the stocking. Make sure to catch the burlap stocking when sewing your tab on so that when you hang it your lining doesn't just hang up and your outside stocking falls to the ground!
I embellished the stockings with ruffles sewn onto the cuff for the girls and a button for the boys. I'm loving how they turned out. The colors, the rough edges of the burlap, and of course the ruffles and buttons! Yay for new stockings!

No comments:

Post a Comment