Monday, December 5, 2011

Homemade ornaments

I saw these ornaments on pinterest and they inspired me to make my own!
Pinned Image
And here they are!
They are so simple, I just had to share them with you! Jayden's 1st grade class at school is decorating their tree with orange ornaments, so I am showing you his ornament being made. For my ornaments I used old school papers wadded up and cut up and old towel for some of them. For Jayden's, I decided to use some of my overflowing abundance of Walmart bags. Whatever you decide, wad it up in a ball until you have about the size you want (I used 4 sacks). Then wrap the wadded ball in foil. I thought the foil helped to get and keep the right shape for the ornament.
Cut strips of fabric. Your choice here. Have fun! I used about 4 strips that were approximately 33 inches x 1 1/2 inches. This definitely doesn't have to be perfect. Notice the varying shapes of the strips? Jayden helped cut them out. Make this a fun project to do with "helpers" :)
Then you can start wrapping. Hot glue the ends to keep them down and then start the next strip.
When the foil is completely covered and you are happy with the looks and shape of the ball you are done! I'm sure there are all kinds of fancy ways you can attach a string to hang your ornament, but I went with very simple. I threaded my needle, caught a little fabric, and then tied the thread off.
There you have your ornament! Ready and waiting to be hung!

No comments:

Post a Comment