Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sweater Earwarmers

Mike and I went to Chicago last Saturday. Two fashions that stuck out to me the most: boots and knitted ear warmers with flowers. I can't make the boots, but the ear warmers I was definitely trying! But shhh... these are for my girls for Christmas :)
Want to make your own?
First get the measurement around the head of whomever you are making this for. My girls' head measured 20 inches. Then, grab an old sweater and start cutting! I used the sleeve of the sweater.
Cut the cuff and shoulder off the sweater.
Then I cut out the shape on the right. I made it 20 inches long and then about 4 inches in the middle and 1 1/2 inches on the ends. Next, sew a zigzag stitch all along the edges. As you stitch keep a little tension on the sweater (pull just very slightly). This helps make it ruffle like the piece on the left.
At this point, try it on and see where you want to put your button and buttonhole.
Embellish with the flower of your choice! I used this online tutorial for my flower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QfRHCkpsNk
I can't wait to try these on my girls! But, I guess I will be waiting until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment